Are you an avid gamer who has encountered the dreaded ‘Failed to Save Game Error Code 516’? If so, you’re not alone. This frustrating error can disrupt your gaming experience and leave you scratching your head for a solution. But fear not, because in this comprehensive guide, we’ll delve into the reasons behind this error and provide you with detailed, step-by-step instructions on how to fix it. Gaming is meant to be a stress reliever and a source of entertainment, but when technical glitches like Error Code 516 pop up, they can turn your gaming session into a nightmare. We understand your frustration, and we’re here to help.
Whether you’re a PC gamer, console enthusiast, or a mobile gamer, we’ve got you covered. By the end of this article, you’ll have the knowledge and tools to tackle this error head-on and get back to gaming without a hitch. So, let’s roll up our sleeves and dive into the world of Error Code 516 to unravel its mysteries and banish it from your gaming life for good.
Understanding Error Code 516
Before we jump into the fixes, let’s first understand what Error Code 516 actually is. This error commonly occurs during gaming sessions and is usually associated with the inability to save your progress. When you encounter Error Code 516, it means that the game you’re playing has encountered an issue while trying to save your game data to the designated storage location.
This error can manifest on various gaming platforms, including PC, PlayStation, Xbox, and even mobile devices. It’s not limited to a specific game title but can occur across a range of games, making it a widespread concern for gamers.
The causes of Error Code 516 can vary, but they typically revolve around issues with your storage device, corrupted game files, or even problems with the game’s servers. It’s essential to identify the specific cause in your case to apply the most appropriate fix.
In the next sections, we’ll explore the common reasons behind this error and provide you with step-by-step solutions to resolve it, tailored to different platforms and scenarios.
Don’t miss: Hulu error code p-ts207
Common Causes of Error Code 516
- Storage Device Issues: One of the primary culprits behind Error Code 516 is problems with your storage device. If your hard drive or SSD has bad sectors or is running out of space, the game may struggle to save your progress, leading to this error. To check if this is the issue, ensure you have sufficient storage space and run a disk check utility to identify and repair any bad sectors.
- Corrupted Game Files: Corrupted game files can wreak havoc on your gaming experience. If even a single game file becomes corrupted, it can trigger Error Code 516. To address this, most gaming platforms offer a file verification or integrity check feature. Use this feature to scan and repair corrupted game files.
- Server Problems: Sometimes, the error may not be on your end but on the game’s servers. If the game’s servers are experiencing high traffic or technical issues, it can prevent your game data from being saved. In such cases, all you can do is wait for the game developers to resolve the server issues.
- Outdated Game or System Software: Outdated game or system software can also lead to compatibility issues, resulting in Error Code 516. Make sure both your game and system software are up to date to ensure smooth gameplay.
- Network Issues: If you’re playing an online multiplayer game when the error occurs, it could be due to network issues. A weak or unstable internet connection can interrupt the saving process. Check your internet connection and consider using a wired connection for more stability.
Now that we’ve identified the common causes of Error Code 516 let’s move on to the practical solutions to fix this frustrating error.
How to fix failed to save game error code 516?
Fix 1: Clear Up Storage Space
Is your gaming experience plagued by Error Code 516, and you suspect that a lack of storage space might be the culprit? Let’s dive into the first fix: clearing up storage space.
Step 1: Assess Your Storage
Begin by assessing your storage situation. Check how much free space you have left on your gaming device. On a PC, you can do this by opening File Explorer and right-clicking on your drive (usually C:). Select ‘Properties’ and take note of the available space. For consoles, navigate to the storage settings in your system menu, and on mobile devices, check your storage settings.
Step 2: Delete Unnecessary Files
Identify files and applications that you no longer need. These could be old documents, videos, or games you’ve completed or no longer play. Highlight and delete these files to free up space. Ensure you’ve backed up any essential data before deleting.
Step 3: Move Files to External Storage
If you’re running out of space but want to keep certain files, consider moving them to an external storage device. This is especially relevant for PC gamers who can connect an external hard drive or SSD.
Step 4: Clear Temporary Files
Temporary files and cache can take up a significant amount of space. To clear them:
- On a PC, use the built-in Disk Cleanup tool. Search for it in the Start menu, select your drive, and let the tool calculate how much space you can free up.
- On consoles, check for cache-clearing options in the system settings.
- On mobile devices, navigate to ‘Storage’ in your settings and clear cache and temporary files for individual apps.
Step 5: Restart Your Gaming Device
After freeing up space and clearing temporary files, restart your gaming device. This helps ensure that all changes take effect.
Step 6: Try Saving Your Game Again
Return to your game and attempt to save your progress. With more storage space available, you should no longer encounter Error Code 516 when saving.
Remember, maintaining adequate free space on your gaming device is essential for smooth gameplay. By following these steps, you’ve successfully completed the first fix to resolve Error Code 516 and can now enjoy uninterrupted gaming sessions. If the issue persists, move on to the next fix.
Fix 2: Verify and Repair Game Files
If you suspect that corrupted game files are causing Error Code 516, you can use this fix to get your game back on track.
- Step 1: Launch Your Game Platform: Open the game platform where you encounter the error. This could be Steam on PC, PlayStation Network, Xbox Live, or your mobile gaming app.
- Step 2: Access Game Properties: In your Steam library, right-click on the game title that’s giving you trouble and select ‘Properties.’
- Step 3: Verify Game Files: In the ‘Properties’ window, go to the ‘Local Files’ tab, and click ‘Verify Integrity of Game Files.’ Steam will then check and repair any corrupted game files.
- Step 4: Wait for the Process to Finish: Let the verification process complete. This might take some time, depending on the size of the game and the speed of your storage device.
- Step 5: Try Saving Your Game Again: Once the verification and repair are done, try saving your game. The error should be resolved if corrupted files were the issue.
Fix 3: Check for Server Status
If you suspect the error is related to the game server, follow these steps:
- Step 1: Check Game Developer’s Website or Social Media: Visit the official website or social media channels of the game developer. They often provide updates on server status and any ongoing maintenance or outages.
- Step 2: Verify Server Status: Look for information about server status. If the servers are down or undergoing maintenance, you’ll have to wait until they’re back online. In such cases, the issue is not on your end, and there’s little you can do except be patient.
Fix 4: Update Game and System Software
Outdated software can lead to compatibility issues, resulting in Error Code 516. To ensure your gaming environment is up to date, follow these steps:
Step 1: Update Game Software
- PC (Steam): In your Steam library, right-click on the game title, and if updates are available, they will be downloaded automatically.
- Console: Check for game updates in the system menu. Most consoles offer automatic updates for installed games.
Step 2: Update System Software
- PC (Windows): Make sure your Windows operating system is up to date. Go to ‘Settings’ > ‘Update & Security’ > ‘Windows Update.’
- Console: Check for system updates in the system settings menu.
- Mobile: Go to your device’s settings, and under ‘Software Updates’ or ‘System Updates,’ check for and install any available updates.
Step 3: Restart Your Gaming Device
After updating both your game and system software, restart your gaming device to ensure that all changes take effect.
Step 4: Try Saving Your Game Again
Return to your game and attempt to save your progress. With up-to-date software, the compatibility issues causing Error Code 516 should be resolved.
Fix 5: Improve Your Network Connection
If you suspect that a weak or unstable internet connection is behind Error Code 516, follow these steps to improve your network stability:
Step 1: Restart Your Modem and Router
- Unplug the power cables from your modem and router.
- Wait for about 30 seconds.
- Reconnect the power cables and let both devices reboot.
Step 2: Use a Wired Connection
If possible, connect your gaming device directly to your router using an Ethernet cable. Wired connections are more stable than wireless ones.
Step 3: Close Bandwidth-Intensive Apps
Ensure that no other devices or applications on your network are consuming excessive bandwidth. Streaming, large downloads, or multiple devices connected simultaneously can lead to network instability.
Step 4: Consider a Gaming VPN
Some gamers find that using a gaming VPN can reduce lag and provide a more stable connection, especially in online multiplayer games. Research and choose a reputable gaming VPN service if you decide to go this route.
After improving your network connection, try saving your game again. A more stable connection should prevent Error Code 516 from occurring.
Fix 6: Reinstall the Game
If all else fails and you’re still encountering Error Code 516, it might be time to perform a clean installation of the game.
Step 1: Uninstall the Game
- On PC: Go to ‘Control Panel’ > ‘Programs’ > ‘Uninstall a program,’ select the game, and click ‘Uninstall.’
- On Console: Navigate to the game’s icon in your library, press the ‘Options’ button, and choose ‘Delete.’
- On Mobile: Hold down the game icon on your home screen and select ‘Uninstall’ or ‘Delete.’
Step 2: Re-download or Reinstall the Game
- On PC: Head to the official game store (e.g., Steam, Epic Games Store) and redownload the game.
- On Console: Re-download the game from your library or insert the game disc if you have a physical copy.
- On Mobile: Re-download the game from the app store.
Step 3: Install the Game
Follow the on-screen instructions to install the game. Make sure to choose the correct storage location if prompted. After installation, launch the game and try saving your progress again. This fresh installation should resolve any lingering issues.
Fix 7: Check for Firmware Updates (Console Only)
Console gaming systems often receive firmware updates that can improve system stability and fix errors like Error Code 516. Here’s how to check for firmware updates:
Step 1: Access System Settings
- On PlayStation: From the main menu, go to ‘Settings’ > ‘System Software Update.’
- On Xbox: Press the Xbox button on your controller, navigate to ‘Profile & system’ > ‘Settings’ > ‘System’ > ‘Updates.’
- On Nintendo Switch: Go to ‘System Settings’ > ‘System’ > ‘System Update.’
Step 2: Check for Updates
Select ‘Check for Updates’ and follow the on-screen instructions to install any available updates. After updating, restart your console and try saving your game once more.
Fix 8: Contact Game Support
If none of the previous fixes work, it’s possible that the issue is specific to the game itself or a rare technical problem. In such cases, your best course of action is to contact the game’s customer support or visit their official forums for assistance.
Step 1: Find Support Contacts
- Visit the official website of the game or the game’s developer.
- Look for a ‘Support’ or ‘Contact Us’ section.
- You may find options to email, chat, or submit a support ticket.
Step 2: Provide Details
When reaching out to support, be sure to provide as much information as possible, including the platform you’re using (PC, PlayStation, Xbox, mobile), the exact error message (Error Code 516), and a detailed description of when and how the error occurs. The more information you provide, the better equipped they will be to assist you.
Step 3: Follow Their Guidance
Game support teams are experienced in troubleshooting their products and can offer specific guidance or solutions based on your situation. Follow their instructions closely to resolve the issue.
In most cases, one of these eight fixes should resolve Error Code 516 and allow you to enjoy uninterrupted gaming. Remember that patience and persistence are key when troubleshooting technical issues, and don’t hesitate to seek assistance from the game’s support team if needed. Happy gaming!
In the world of gaming, encountering Error Code 516 can be frustrating, but it’s not insurmountable. By understanding the common causes and applying the appropriate fixes, you can swiftly get back to enjoying your favorite games without interruptions. Remember, whether you’re dealing with storage issues, corrupted game files, server problems, or network issues, there’s a solution at your fingertips. Clear up storage space, verify and repair game files, stay updated, and ensure a stable network connection. With these steps, you’ll be well-equipped to conquer Error Code 516 and unlock uninterrupted gaming sessions. Happy gaming!
What is Error Code 516 in gaming, and why does it happen?
Error Code 516 is a common gaming hiccup, occurring due to issues like storage, servers, or corrupted files.
Can Error Code 516 affect all gaming platforms?
Yes, Error Code 516 isn’t picky; it can disrupt gaming on PCs, consoles, and even mobile devices.
What’s the quickest fix for error code 516?
Clearing up storage space is often the quickest way to bid farewell to Error Code 516.