If you are a Windows user, you may have encountered the Windows Update Error 0x80070103 at some point. This error can be frustrating, as it prevents you from installing the latest updates for your operating system. Fortunately, there are several methods you can try to fix this issue and get your Windows updates back on track.
**Understanding Error 0x80070103**
When you encounter the Windows Update Error 0x80070103, it means that there is a driver update available for your hardware, but Windows is unable to install it. This error typically occurs when you try to install updates using the Windows Update utility or the Microsoft Update website.
**Check for Optional Updates**
One of the first steps you can take to fix error 0x80070103 is to check for optional updates. Sometimes, Windows will not install certain updates if there are other pending updates on your system. By checking for optional updates, you can ensure that all available updates are installed, which may resolve the error.
To check for optional updates, follow these steps:
1. Open the Settings app by pressing the Windows key + I.
2. Click on Update & Security.
3. Select Windows Update from the left-hand menu.
4. Click on Check for updates.
If there are any optional updates available, they will be listed under the Optional updates available section. Install these updates and then try installing the original updates again to see if the error is resolved.
**Update Drivers Manually**
If checking for optional updates does not fix the error, you may need to update your drivers manually. To do this, you will need to visit the website of your hardware manufacturer and download the latest driver for your device. Be sure to download the correct driver for your specific hardware model and Windows version.
Once you have downloaded the driver, you can install it by following these steps:
1. Press the Windows key + X and select Device Manager from the menu.
2. In Device Manager, locate the device for which you downloaded the driver.
3. Right-click on the device and select Update driver.
4. Choose the option to browse your computer for driver software and select the downloaded driver file.
**Use the Update Catalog**
Another potential solution for error 0x80070103 is to use the Microsoft Update Catalog to manually download and install the problematic driver update. The Update Catalog is a Microsoft website that allows you to search for and download updates for Windows and other Microsoft products.
To use the Update Catalog, follow these steps:
1. Open your web browser and navigate to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.
2. In the search bar, enter the KB number of the update that is causing the error (you can find this information in the Windows Update utility).
3. Locate the correct update in the search results and click on the Download button.
4. Once the update is downloaded, double-click on the file to install it.
Encountering the Windows Update Error 0x80070103 can be frustrating, but there are several methods you can try to resolve it. By checking for optional updates, updating drivers manually, or using the Microsoft Update Catalog, you can potentially fix the error and continue installing Windows updates as normal. If none of these methods work, you may need to seek help from a professional to diagnose and fix the issue.